Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Artfest 2010 Iron Chef Artists Challenge!


I have no pictures of the Artfest Iron Chef Artists challenge so I stole this one. Linn Woodard took it and I stole it from Carla Sonheim's blog (There are stunning pics of Fort Worden there).

So, here's the deal, Teesha decided she wanted some interesting events this year at AF. She had a band the first night, Surrealized, truly AWESOME! gave us goosebumps!
Then on Thursday night any teachers who wished to could participate in the Iron Chef Artists Challenge. We chose either 3D or 2D. I of course chose 3D. We were given the same bag of cool stuff and 30 minutes to make something out of it. We were allowed to bring our own bag of "tricks". I was kind of dreading it after I said I would do it. It just felt like a competition even though it wasn't supposed to me. And I felt on the spot about it and Stephanie Rubiano, Keith LoBue, Micheal DeMeng were all participating.... I just dreaded being compared to them. But! here's what happened! Tracy handed me my bag of goodies and the start was announced. I dumped it out and what fell out on my table but a replica realistic resin otter skull!!!! Yeah! Way! it did! right then the world around me fell away...DeMeng who? I was enthralled and instantly began making a fetish. The next 30 minutes evaporated and time stopped. People pushed and crowded and cameras flashed, members of Surrealized played. While I noticed the music I had no clue about anything else. I just made. I twisted wire and assembled. I stretched sausage casing around it all and painted it with vibrant watercolors. It was SOOOOOOO fun! They added additional minutes but I barely needed any. I was the first person finished in my area and I LOVED how it turned out. People have promised to send me pics so I'll share when I get some.

10 comments:

Riki Schumacher said...

I cannot even IMAGINE what your piece looks like! I can't wait to see it. My mind is wandering, love the description. Of course you should be compared to those others girl, are you kidding! You're the best. hugs, Riki

Carla Sonheim said...

Pictures, pictures! I missed it somehow!!!!

lulu moonwood murakami said...

Hi Melissa - I'm posting some more pics of the iron chef artist event, if you want to see yourself working in a frenzy!

: ) lulu

Anonymous said...

So glad you could use my artfest photo from Carla's blog. I loved seeing all of the art you guys made during the challenge! You're right, artfest is definitely worthwhile.
Linn

gina armfield said...

It was such a pleasure meeting you and taking your porthole pendant class. You are a delightful teacher. I also purchased a ring that you made and Robert told me that it was a very old design and a "worry ring" must say it was meant to be as my husband is going in for back surgery tmr and I have been worrying ;) so I have kept it on my hand and spin the lovely copper disc to ease my mind and it helps. Hope to see you in the future. Gina

Liesel Lund said...

Hi Melissa!-I've got one photo of you working away at the Iron Artist. Wasn't that a crazy fun way to create? I hope to get to do it again. I hope you are having a wonderful April! Wish I could go kayaking with you! : )

Kerin said...

Hi Melissa! It was so great to have taken Robert's class at Artfest and to be able to meet both of you!

I was the one that made the Edgar Allen Poe hog gut thingie which turned out really well by the way!

Anyway as promised here is my mixed media site address where you are both quite welcome to post your events such as upcoming workshops and the like. MixedMediaArt.ning.com

I see you'll be teaching at Art & Soul in Portland. My husby, Charley, and I will be teaching there also so hopefully we'll see you there. : )

Unknown said...

Great post! It's fun to read about your internal process with Iron Artist. I sent you some pictures tonight and I've got more.
<3 Rachel

Diana said...

Sausage casings!!!! Okay now you have me pondering. I'm with Riki, you just have to show pictures of your otter skull creation...can't wait. How fun Artfest sounds. Some day I hope to attend. Glad you had a great time, Melissa!
Hugs
Diana

Melissa Manley said...

Hi Diana! I wish I had a photo of it the Iron Chef Artist artworks were for a raffle to raise money for next years Artfest scholarship. So as soon as I finished it was whisked away. Teesha told me who won it but I've since forgotten.